Saturday, April 12, 2014

Sixth birthday right around the corner

And it's time to start learning the big boy stuff! Apollo has had a very up and down time the last two weeks. Our left lead became a major struggle for us, so I had his chiropractor do an adjustment. Turns out his pelvis was like 100 kinds of crooked, and his atlas was jammed against the left side of his skull (um OUCH, no wonder he doesn't want to bend left!) Well ever since the adjustment, his leads have been fine...when he isn't bucking. Little mister has started crow hopping and kicking out BOTH leads, BOTH directions. I took him on a trail to see what would happen, and he didn't buck ONCE during either of our canters out there. Now later on during the ride he had a major meltdown tantrum over being told to trot when he wanted to canter. It was the kind of ride where I wanted to sell him by the time I got back to the barn. We're in the process of ruling out physical pain vs bad boy behavior. Does his body feel sore now that his alignment is correct because he's used to being incorrect? Is he now able to object to working because his body is correct? Is something pinched? Is there SI pain? I did find a muscle knot along his right bum cheek (right next to the top of his tail, maybe a few inches above it.) I have a magnetic ball massager mit I've been using on it every evening, and he seemed less reactive to me pushing on the area tonight. The first time he clamped his tail down and bunched his entire hiney up because it hurt. The next day he did the same, and today he only showed slight discomfort. I'm thinking he just needed some days off with massages on the offending cheek.

Well the next day he got his feet reset (he has shoes in front, barefoot behind.) My farrier has always been very good with him, but this time he must've gotten him a little short because he's ouchy, particularly in the right front. He isn't three-legged lame, not acting sickly, etc. He's just a bit short strided and "pitter patting" with his front feet. I gave him a day to see how it would progress, and the next day it was worse so I called the vet in a panic. She doesn't think he's abscessing (no crazy stray nails, no heat, no swelling, no increased pulse or any of that abscessy stuff.) She agreed she thinks it was the reset making him sore as he hoof tested positive in both fronts. He's getting Durasoled every evening with a toothbrush to help toughen up his soles, and he's gotten a few days off to just hang out and feel better.

I jogged him tonight, and he's improving but still isn't 100%. I'm hoping by tomorrow he will be okay to go on a W/T trail ride. In the meantime, we're practicing tying. He cross tied when I bought him, and he SEEMED to tie just fine when I tied him in the barn. Well we went XC schooling last fall, and within 30 seconds he sat back and broke away from the trailer (did not bolt, just walked a few steps away and stood.) I figured perhaps he doesn't tie as well as I thought. Of course I did nothing about it all winter because it was so cold, and I was miserable. Now that it's warm, it's time to tie!


We made progress today. He stood quietly while I was "very far away." Heck I was almost out of sight! He watched me walk away and went back to half dozing. We're going to work on this every day so we don't have any incidents when we start traveling. Tomorrow is our biggest test though--standing quietly while tied....for bath time. This horse's biggest ground manner fault is his attitude about bathing. Like any mud-loving young boy, he objects to the idea of cleanliness. Get sprayed with a hose? He's pretty sure it's acid coming out of that hose. He stands pretty still after the initial soaking, but there is a good amount of walking sideways and grimacing for that first splish splash. Tomorrow will be a big learning day....and I will feel much better getting the winter dirt out of his coat. I think it'll help him shed out better too--this booger just started shedding a few days ago!


He seems to be gaining weight too. He lost a bit in February with the horrible cold, so we've stepped it up with his diet to get the weight back on him. 


Last weekend

I just want a little more fat over his ribs, and I'll be happy! He will never look like a big chunky WB with a broodie belly, but I want him to get to a nice healthy weight for his body type. 

That's pretty much all we've been doing, working hard to improve our riding and all that jazz. As a bonus, enjoy my dog wearing a custom-knit birthday outfit. 





No comments:

Post a Comment